Seen all of the reasons above in comments plus:
Actual excuses I’ve read by online commenters regarding the RAPE of Cersei:
- She made him
- She wanted it
- She wasn’t saying no to sex, just no to the location
- They had a D/s relationship
- They already engage in incest
- Get over it. It’s HBO.
- She said no, but her body language said yes
- It’s a fantasy show!
Feel free to add any ridiculous justifications you’ve seen.
- It was the only way to make her sympathetic or to “redeem” her.
- It was just bad direction that didn’t convey what the show’s makers actually meant.
- The show reflects medieval values. It was viewed differently then.
- It’s no worse or even “not as bad” as other violent or controversial stuff on this show.
- She was an icy bitch who deserved it.
And the icing on the big, rape apologist cake:
- Women get raped in real life. It was “only” reflecting that. “Get over it!”
I do think the show has made a huge misstep with this - one that has weakened two really interesting main characters - and it might not be fixable or forgivable. It depends how they approach it over the rest of the season(s).
What has really sickened me is reading all those kinds of comments though. It’s worrying. Not to mention that people are posting the ones I’ve read from their FB and Twitter profiles so I assume their partners and maybe even mothers are reading it.